5.27.2010

Family and the Fun They Bring

This upcoming month is going to be a very busy month for me. Many events and activities are happening but the most current starts the first weekend in June. Next weekend I have an annual family reunion to go to. This isn't the normal kind that one thinks about though. In fact, this is the first type that I have ever heard of (although I'm sure we aren't the only ones). The family reunion that I am going to happens to have been occurring for the past hundred years.
When a person attends they sit at a particular place in the room under the name of an ancestor that they descended from. For further example I give you a very brief history. I descend from Ruby McIntyre (Sheppard) who will sit under the proud heritage of Emery Sheppard. Along with Emery's three other siblings that also have their own tables, they all descend from William who of course descended so forth and so on all the way back to the beginning of creation or in my families case 1688. In case you are very confused as I was when I first arrived last year behind my Grandmother- 4 tables named from siblings who lived about hundred years ago. A lot of family is there and we are all interconnected through these siblings.
I get to hear a lot of stories and see a lot of pictures and spend time with my family from Texas.  This is something that is enjoyed immensely and we have been looking forward to this for awhile.  No electronics, no laptops, buzzing cell phones, or blaring TVs,  just backwoods Mississippi.  D'Lo.  One of my favorite places in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment